In September 2011, The Australian Music Industry Network (AMIN) and Virgin Australia announced a new initiative aimed at addressing the ongoing problems musicians face when travelling with musical equipment.
Following discussions led by AMIN, Virgin Australia is offering the music industry a baggage allowance of 32kg (across three pieces of checked baggage) for individual artists – with an additional 32kg able to be purchased in advance for just $15.
This baggage allowance is available on Virgin Australia-owned and operated domestic services only and must be booked or pre-purchased at least 48 hours prior to departure. This offer applies to all new bookings and cannot be provided in retrospect, and Virgin Australia will not refund normal baggage charges already paid.
The following organisations and their members are eligible to access this offer
- AMIN’s member organisations
- Queensland Music Network (Q Music)
- Contemporary Music Services Tasmania (CMST)
- Music NSW
- Music NT
- Music Victoria
- The Western Australian Music Industry Association (WAM)
- Association of Artist Managers;
- Australian Independent Record Labels Association;
- The Australasian Performing Right Association;
- The Australasian Mechanical Copyright Owners Society;
- Live Performance Australia;
- Musicians Union of Australia;
- Country Music Association of Australia;
- Folk Alliance
Before taking advantage of the offer it’s important to read the full guidelines which can be downloaded as a PDF below: