MEET THE WAMILY
WHO WE ARE
Passionately committed to championing Western Australia’s thriving music industry since 1987, WAM (West Australian Music) is the peak music body responsible for supporting, nurturing and growing all forms of contemporary music in WA.
We’re there for the amateurs, the professionals and everyone in-between, fusing meaningful connections, providing suitable opportunities, promoting worthy causes, playing active roles in advocacy and policy development, and embracing all who wish to play, listen and partake in local original music.
Comprised of staff that have been involved in all levels of the music industry, we’re committed to fostering and enhancing individual connections for the collective gain of the industry and those within it, with ongoing advice and support to improve the economic viability, vibrancy and cultural creativity of the WA music industry.
WHAT WE CARE ABOUT
We’re not selective of genres, nor are we elitist, bureaucratic or remote. From blues to contemporary classical, country, electronic, dance, punk, experimental, hardcore, reggae, psych, garage, house, folk, funk, hip hop, jazz, metal, pop, rock, roots, world and beyond, we’re committed to celebrating contemporary music in all its diverse forms. We are not exclusive, but rather believe everyone should have access to suitable opportunities to develop and succeed in the industry. WAM is all about creating a thriving industry that’s a testament to the talent and passion within it.
WHAT WE DO
WAM manages events, runs programs and undertakes ongoing activities and collaborations including:
- WA’s most extensive annual showcases of local talent with WAMi Festival (now in November) and State Of The Art.
- Celebrating WA’s finest talents through WAMi Awards and Hall of Fame, and photographers with the Kiss My Camera exhibition.
- Recognising WA’s best songwriters with the Song Of The Year competition.
- Providing annual professional development opportunities from the music industry’s most inspiring and successful minds with the WAMi Business Conference.
- Enhancing industry skills and knowledge year-round through the Music Industry Sundowner Series.
- Building young band profiles whilst providing music experiences for all ages with AmpFest.
- Schools Alive inspires students of all ages to see music as a valuable art and provides career information about the music industry.
- Strengthening links between music and community in regional areas through the extensive Regional Program, including Sounds Of community recording projects, recording tuition, community CD projects, piloting touring circuits, workshops, and advocacy.
- Providing film, TV and ad syncing opportunities for acts with Sync To Swim.
- Assisting programming events such as AGWA Nights and Sounds Of Summer.
- Providing the best weekly doses of news and opportunities relevant to the WA music industry via WAM eNews.
- Forming WA Music Council to represent all interests more effectively through industry leaders.
- Providing support to WAM Members including Virgin and Qantas luggage allowances, SonicBids membership and free Pop Up Legal Practice sessions and more, plus discounts on Marsh insurance, AMID, Diskbank, Berklee courses and more.
- Advocating and supporting campaigns and projects by/with the likes of DCA, APRA, Sounds Australia, Australia Council, AMIN, Save Live Australia’s Music, AMRAP, Music Feedback, Control and many more.
There are many ways to get involved in helping WAM serve the WA music community or to keep informed, including:
- Become a WAM Member (Individual, Band or Business) by calling (08)9227 7962.
- Sign up to our free eNews, the most comprehensive state-focused info source in Australia.
- Jump on wam.asn.au to discover a world of opportunities and free info.
- Email your resume and info to aadmin at wam.asn.au if you’d like to volunteer your services and skills or gain industry experience.
- Get out there and support original WA music!
For more information, visit www.wam.asn.au