Music NT’s mission is to support the growth and development of original contemporary music in the Northern Territory.
Music NT’s vision is to achieve:
- the status of lead agency representing the strength and diversity of the Northern Territory’s original and contemporary music industry.
- a national and international profile for the NT as the major heartland and creative source of Australia’s unique Indigenous music.
- a strong funding base to provide services throughout the NT.
- a representative and united industry force to fulfill our goals for industry growth and development.
- recognition of the cultural, social and economic value of the NT music industry.
As the peak contemporary music development body, Music NT has a focus on developing and strengthening networks with national music industry representatives as well as strengthening links with regional centres throughout the Territory.
Music NT offers its members industry support in the form of office access including computer, photocopier, telephone, directories, advice on touring, recording, promotion, event coordination, agency services (recommending musicians for events), performance opportunities (through Music NT gigs and venue collaborations), and promotional support through extensive media lists and Music NT networks.
The majority of the industry is composed of Aboriginal artists, approximately 70%, creating, performing and recording original music, much of which is in their own languages. These acts are concentrated in regional/remote towns and communities and have limited access to services.
It is Music NT’s aim to enhance and promote this uniqueness, encouraging activity, employment opportunities and exposure of NT artists within and outside of the Territory and to encourage the maintenance of language and culture through contemporary expression.
Music NT provides members with access to a growing library of resources including books, magazines, research, reports, directories, handbooks, special articles, etc. for up to two weeks at no cost.
Music NT also maintain a comprehensive database and members receive our regular fortnightly email iNTune with relevant information for contemporary musicians and those working in the industry in the Northern Territory.
Find out more at www.musicnt.com.au