MusicNSW is the Peak Body for Contemporary Music in NSW
MusicNSW is a not for profit Industry Association set up to represent, promote and develop the contemporary music industry in New South Wales, Australia, in addition to managing a number of Music Development projects.
MusicNSW exists to support the creative and economic expansion of the NSW contemporary Music Industry through advocacy, resource assistance, activating growth of industry infrastructure, delivery of tailored initiatives and provision of advice and referrals.
MusicNSW’s objectives are to:
- To ensure that the interests of the NSW contemporary music industry are adequately addressed by the media, government and cultural bodies.
- To empower communities around NSW to retain their musical identity and foster audiences for local material.
- To provide the NSW contemporary music industry with advice and resources and have available systemised information that can be updated regularly and disseminated widely.
- To increase industry professionalism and skills at all levels and sectors of the NSW contemporary music industry through education and training.
- To develop regional, national and international recording and performance opportunities for NSW musicians.
- To provide coordination services between musicians, grass roots music organisations, industry bodies and government bodies.
Advocacy and Representation
MusicNSW continues to grow and develop in its representation and advocacy role.
With increasing demands for assistance from the range of sectors that make up the industry and government at all levels, MusicNSW takes an active role in developing statewide strategies to improve services to contemporary music.
MusicNSW is responsible for the ongoing development and discussion of important issues including;
- Increasing education around and access to contemporary music.
- Live music venues.
- Local music content across all media and performance.
- Opportunities for regional performance.
- Digital downloading and the impact of technology on the music industry.
- Advising funding bodies to increase accessibility to contemporary music.
- Workers Compensation and Public Liability concerns with the changes to Work Cover and its effect on the entertainment industry.
MusicNSW continues to develop projects based on identified industry needs. Through core projects (Indent, Whichway, VROOM and Sound Summit) MusicNSW develops programs specific to increasing access and opportunities to and within the music industry.
For more information on these projects see
There are a number of funding bodies who require applicants to be incorporated and not for profit, in these cases MusicNSW offers it service as an auspicing body to enable individuals to apply for the funds. Auspicing involves MusicNSW being the contracting party with the funding body and receiving the funds directly from that body, an agreement would then exist between MusicNSW and the individual for the delivery of the project and will outline the financial relationship, acknowledgement requirements and acquitting obligations. For this service MusicNSW charges a 10% commission fee on the total of the grant.
Advice and Resources
MusicNSW is available to individuals, businesses, organisations and other groups to advise on industry issues, while providing an increasing range of information and advice to the NSW music industry. Visit the www.musicnsw.com for resource and contact information.
Networking and Communication
MusicNSW acts as a conduit to the contemporary music industry, enabling widespread access to industry information and opportunities.
Find out more at www.musicnsw.com