CONTROL: The Business of Music Management 2010
CONTROL is an intensive five stage program for music managers based in Australia and wanting to grow their business locally and offshore.
The program is presented by the Australian Music Industry Association (AMIN). It incorporates a residential workshop which will include a comprehensive review of the many different business models found in the contemporary music sector, as well as deep analysis of each business model brought to the workshop. Local as well as international advisers will work with participants in the program.
All course materials and information disclosed during the workshop will be treated strictly as commercial in confidence.
The course proposes the following key areas of focus for participants:
- developing the tools to analyse the viability of various business models to drive the growth of a music management business;
- developing the skills to create and deliver a detailed business plan based around a business model;
The course objectives are:
- to encourage participants to consider the development of new business models and income streams for their business
- to assist participants in developing their business into a stable, sustainable and growing enterprise;
OVERVIEW OF THE PROGRAM
The course structure in brief comprises:
An online tutorial in SWOT analysis and business planning to be completed by all participants prior to commencement of the residential workshop
A residential workshop to be held near Sydney from 14-17 November 2010.
Preparation of a business plan to be delivered late February 2011;
One-to-one feedback on the submitted Business Plan in March 2011.
A two day residential program in the Fundamentals of Financial Modelling to be held near Adelaide in August 2011.
The course content in brief comprises:
- the SWOT analysis;
- strategic business planning;
- case studies of successful and failed business models in the contemporary music sector;
- planning and financing growth.
- Financial modelling
This course is aimed at mid career music managers who are keen to grow their business and work nationally and internationally. Applicants applying to the program must meet the following criteria:
- have recognition in the Australian market
- have at least 3 years experience as a music manager
- have a current full length CD with national distribution and good sales and/or
- extensive touring experience and/or
- national airplay and chart action
Self managed artists who also manage other artists, and have the required industry experience, are deemed to meet the criteria for the program. Those who are not operating an artist management division in their business do not meet the eligibility criteria for this program.
- the track record of the applicant
- the applicant’s reasons for applying to the program
- The applicant’s statements in support of their application
- There will be no cost of participation in the program (including all meals and accommodation during the workshops).
- Funding for CONTROL has been generously provided by the Australian Government.
- Travel will be at each participant’s expense.
- No fee will be paid to participants.
Applications need to include:
- a completed application form;
- a half page history of the company or business;
- a half page professional biography;
- a half page statement outlining why you should be chosen to attend the course
- a half page statement describing what you hope to achieve by attending the course
A selection committee from AMIN and the industry will make a preliminary selection of candidates. Interviews may be used to further establish suitability. The selection committee will review and choose the successful applicants. Successful applicants will be notified by mid October 2010.
The selection committee will not make public its reasons for its decisions. The decision of the selection committee with respect to any application is absolute and final and not subject to appeal.
The application form is available to download HERE.
Course enquiries can be directed to Nicole at AAM
tel 0423 196 841 or email email@example.com
APPLICATIONS TO BE EMAILED BY CLOSE OF BUSINESS FRIDAY 24 SEPTEMBER TO: firstname.lastname@example.org
NO HARD COPY APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
All applications will be acknowledged by return email. If you do not receive notification of receipt within one business day, please contact:
West Australian Music Industry Association
Tel: 08 9227 7962